Search / 54 results found

from
to

TikTok is testing out a tipping feature.

The short form video platform is said to be playing around with a new feature that will allow people to give monetary tips to their favourite creators.

A video of the new feature was captured this week by creator Jera Bean, who noticed the feature in-app and applied for approval to be one of the first creators to try out the update.

According to her video, the feature will see creators paid every penny of the tip given to them by their fans, meaning TikTok won’t be taking a cut themselves.

In order to qualify to have tipping enabled, accounts must be in good standing on the platform, have at least 100,000 followers, meet an age requirement, and agree to TikTok’s tips terms.

If creators meet these criteria, they can then apply for the tool, but it's currently unclear whether everyone who applies will be approved.

Based on a follow-up video from the same creator shared Thursday evening, the application process seems to move fairly quickly, as Jera Bean has already been approved to use tips.

Her account now displays a “tips” button that directs users to a page where they can tip the creator $5, $10, $15, or a custom amount of their choosing with a minimum amount of $1.

Tips can be sent anonymously, or by using your TikTok username.

A spokesperson for the company told The Verge: “We’re always thinking about new ways to bring value to our community and enrich the TikTok experience.”

Users must be 18 or older to send tips to creators, and the feature is being tested on a limited basis for the time being.

Hace unos días salió a la luz que Sam Smith había cobrado la friolera de más de 300 mil dólares por viajar a Las Vegas, con todos los gastos pagados, y cantar una sola canción en la boda de la heredera de un imperio de casinos. Esta práctica está muy extendida entre las estrellas de la música como Beyoncé, Elton John o Mariah Carey porque les permite embolsarse un dinero extra sin apenas esfuerzo.

En las últimas horas se ha vuelto viral en TikTok un vídeo que muestra supuestamente a J Balvin actuando en el convite posterior a un enlace celebrado en Monterrey. Sus fans no tardaron en preguntarse quiénes eran los novios que habían podido permitirse pagar el alto caché de uno de los artistas más relevantes de la escena urbana internacional.

Sin embargo, resulta que el colombiano nunca estuvo presente en el enlace y, en realidad, se trataba de un imitador que ha conseguido engañar a muchos. Su nombre es Sadid Márquez y guarda un parecido innegable con J Balvin que muestra a menudo en su cuenta de Instagram -@yomellamojbalvintributo- compartiendo fotos en las que se viste y posa como el famoso cantante.

De hecho, él mismo se ha hecho eco a través de sus Stories de la confusión que ha causado y ha dado públicamente las gracias a la pareja que le contrató, que se llama Rosy y Tony, por darle la oportunidad de acompañarles a ambos en su gran día.

Microsoft chief executive Satya Nadella admits the proposed deal to buy TikTok was "strange".

The tech giant was encouraged to buy TikTok by former US President Donald Trump amid the US' trade tensions with China - but Satya now admits that it was a bizarre scenario.

ByteDance - which owns the Chinese video app - approached Microsoft after Trump threatened to ban the platform in the US.

Speaking with tech journalist Kara Swisher at the Code Conference, Satya conceded that TikTok is "an interesting product" and one that was a good fit for Microsoft's business portfolio.

However, the proposed deal was never closed and President Joe Biden revoked the order to ban TikTok earlier this year.

Trump previously suggested that the app represented a threat to the US' national security.

The outspoken billionaire explained that the "spread in the United States of mobile applications developed and owned by companies in the People's Republic of China (China) continues to threaten the national security, foreign policy, and economy of the United States".

But TikTok hit back at the President's accusations.

A spokesperson said at the time: "We are committed to protecting our users' privacy and safety as we continue working to bring joy to families and meaningful careers to those who create on our platform."

TikTok has reached more than one billion monthly active users.

The social video app has hit the impressive milestone, and the company is "honoured" to provide a platform for so many creators and stars.

In a blog post this week, the company said: "At TikTok, our mission is to inspire creativity and bring joy.

"Today, we're celebrating that mission and our global TikTok community. More than 1 billion people around the world now come to TikTok every month to be entertained as they learn, laugh, or discover something new.

"We're honoured to be a home for our immensely diverse community of families, small businesses, and creators who transform into our favourited stars."

The company has thanked everyone for their support in helping the platform grow.

They added: "Our global community is remarkable in its ability to reach millions of people, across generations.

"From music, food, beauty and fashion to art, causes, and everything in between, culture truly starts on TikTok.

"Whether you're in Singapore, São Paolo, Stockholm, or Seattle, we celebrate YOU – the creators who inspire us, the artists who launch chart-breaking albums, the brands who help us discover and connect with products we love, the communities who lift us up, and all the people who keep us laughing and dancing."

The Chinese version of TikTok will limit users who are under 14 years old to 40 minutes a day.

The news has been confirmed by ByteDance - the parent company of Douyin, the Chinese version of TikTok - in a new blog post.

The move sits within the context of the Chinese government's push to impose restrictions on kids' access to video games and other similar types of technology.

Under the revised measures, kids aged under 14 will only be able to access Douyin between 6am and 10pm. As a result, they won't be able to access the app outside of these hours.

The Chinese government's approach stems from a fear of the potentially harmful impact of Douyin on young people.

Last month, meanwhile, it was revealed that TikTok has been testing the ability to upload five-minute videos.

The video-sharing platform initially only allowed one-minute videos before it began testing the ability to post videos up to three minutes long in December 2020, which was eventually approved and rolled out universally.

And the social media site is already planning to extend the maximum length even further, as social media consultant Matt Navarra has confirmed TikTok is testing the ability to post five-minute clips.

Matt published a screenshot of a TikTok bulletin which read: “Upload videos up to 5 minutes long from your device. Make sure you’re using the latest version of TikTok before trying out the feature on your app or tiktok.com."